Scrumptious Shepherd’s Pie
With ground beef, vegetables, potatoes, cheese, herbs and spices, our Shepherd’s Pie is tough to beat!
Ingredients: (makes 12 servings)
– 5 lbs 80/20 Ground beef
– 1 lbs Spanish onion, diced
– 3/4 lbs Celery, diced
– 1 lbs Carrots, cut in 1/2″ pieces
– 1 1/2 oz Peeled garlic minced
– 1/3 lbs Frozen peas
– 1 1/2 oz 90/10 blend oil
– 1/3 tblsp Salt
– 1/2 tblsp White pepper
– 4 oz Veal demi-glaze powder
– 4 lbs Potatoes
– 3/4 cup Heavy cream
– 1/6 lbs Mascarpone cheese
– 3/4 oz Unsalted butter
– 6 cups Water
– 2 oz Chicken base
– 1/6 lbs Parmesan Romano cheese
– 2 oz Fresh Parsley
– 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
– 1/4 lb Shredded cheddar cheese
– 1/2 lb Shredded mozzarella cheese
– 1/2 tblsp Dried parsley
1. Bring a large pot to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes.
2. Drain and mash then mix in butter, mascarpone cheese and heavy cream. Season with salt and pepper to taste; set aside.
3. Heat oil in a large frying pan. Sauté garlic and onions, add carrots, celery.
4. Add 4 cups of water and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
6. Heat a large frying pan. Add ground beef and cook until well browned.
7. Pour off excess fat, add vegetables and 2 oz of chicken base.
8. Whisk 2 cups of cold water with 4oz of Veal demi-glaze powder. Add to ground beef, frozen peas and vegetables, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
9. Spread the ground beef, vegetables and peas in an even layer on the bottom of a casserole dish.
10. Sprinkle with parmesan/Romano cheese and fresh parsley.
11. Spread a layer of mashed potato mixture then add the topping mixture.
12. Bake in the preheated oven for 5 minutes, or until golden brown.
Serve in individual size ramekins, in bowls or on plates, and enjoy!
Raffy is our Executive Chef and he absolutely loves to try new things. Being so passionate about the dining experience as a whole, Raffy puts just as much energy and attention into the appearance as he does the taste. This clearly shows with his love of doing intricate fruit carvings and the recipes he creates. As a husband and a father he knows the importance of family, and we’re glad to have him as a part of the Viga Family.